Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Technically, this is winter training

At my age, running on snow and ice seems like the kind of risk better suited to the 20-somethings who can recover from a slip or fall in just a couple days. So it wouldn't be slanderous to say that I spent most of this winter getting fat, safe in the confines of my warm TV room, and far away from the perils of icy paths and smelly gyms.

But it occurred to me today that with the couple of good walks under my belt over the past couple days, what I'm doing is late winter training. I walked the vast majority of the 6 or 7 km that I did yesterday, with a few short stretches of jogging just to see how the joints would take it (they did), but this is training nonetheless...and nearly three months earlier than I started last year. Spring doesn't arrive until 7:21 p.m. on March 20 and I'm already out there.

While my joints took the short stints of jogging I put them through yesterday, the fact is that I'm carrying between 5 and 10 extra pounds and that translates into a lot of extra punishment on those joints. It is time to lighten up a bit and avoid the mindset that I can eat what I want because I'm training.

More later, but for now I've gotta run.

No comments:

Post a Comment