Friday, September 17, 2010

Nearly there...

So a nice short run to loosen up after the big 19 run on the weekend. It was cold and windy last night...thank goodness for layers. I felt tight and tired...probably still recovering from the long run. Did the 5.7 km in under 38 minutes, though...pretty easy going pace, really.

I'm just over a week away from the race and the donations are still coming in. We're at 96% of the sponsorship target of $2500 for Magic Castle Daycare...I'm so pleased! Thanks again to everyone who has contributed.

And, I'm starting to settle into the taper...so far not too many "heebeejeebees" about sitting around resting, mostly because I'm so busy with work and family stuff this week that I'm grateful for the rest. (This weekend is Matthew's first weekend of hockey -- and they have us on the ice at 6:30 a.m.!) Looking forward to two or three more shorter runs to keep loose over the next week and to strategizing my run.

Time to think about the best way for me to mentally carve up the 21.1 km into smaller phases. I could think of 21.1 all as one phase, but that's a bit daunting. It could be 2x10km with a 1.1 "sprint" at the end--which if you saw me at the end of the run on the weekend would be a complete exaggeration!  It could 3x5km and a 6.1km at the end...I'm sure you get the idea. Part of me thinks that 3x7km is the way to go with a powerful finish.

Oh, meant to let you know that my RoadID "Wrist ID Elite" bracelet arrived this week! It's very sturdily built...maybe even over-built and came in a handsome metal box. The laser etched info (name, birth year, contact phone numbers, motivational slogan) is crisp and visible from any angle and the super strong clasps are more than enough to keep the thing in place without risk of it popping off during my runs.  I like the wrist band the best...it's made from an orange rubbery material that doesn't soak up sweat. I'd recommend the product and the company's service,  which came complete with funny, self-aggrandizing messages from the company owners. I think it was 9 days from online order over the labour day long weekend to delivery from Kentucky, USA.

Anyway, more later, but for now I've got to run...

No comments:

Post a Comment