Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hey, 19...and 43

It's Sunday and the last week has been so busy with work gearing up for the new semester, some last minute preparation for the course I teach at York, and some nice socializing. I was with the kids on my own yesterday, so did a quick run in the morning before Steph went off to work to loosen up in preparation for today.

According to some folks, the last long run of training represents the end of a journey; they refer to the race as a celebration of the accomplishment of achieving everything you have done to date in training. Well, I'm suspending judgement on that for now, but I can sure say the 19 km run today felt like an achievement. I've been training all summer confident that I'll be able to finish the half-marathon -- after all, last year I did it despite never having done it before...so there's a psychological barrier I don't have to wrestle with this year. But today was an excellent reminder that there's still very much a physical barrier to contend with... lactose build-up in the legs, sore feet, and weary in the last 2km.  And, in case you haven't been to the donations web site in a while, there's another milestone to celebrate today -- we've reached 90% of my sponsorship goal and there are still a few parties whose donations are on the way.  Way to go, everyone! And thanks!

This week will be the beginning of my taper and the timing couldn't be better. I begin teaching my course this week and I'll be celebrating my 43rd birthday on Tuesday. Steph's making a cake and I'm awaiting the arrival of my present in the mail: I ordered one of those RoadID bracelets to wear when I'm running.  It's a cool orange colour and has my name and contact info so that in the (knock wood) event of an accident or injury I can be easily identified and the right folks can be called. I'll let you know what I think of it when it arrives.

More later, but for now I gotta run (to the couch, to eat chips and rest my tired legs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment