Monday, September 6, 2010

A good morning on the pavement and a fly-by

This morning's run was that kinda-sorta-long-run that is a step back from the previous distance to prepare for the big push next weekend to 18 or 19 km., which will be the longest I do before race day and marks the beginning of my taper.

It was some cool this morning and, if I'm honest (and I'm always honest), I over dressed. I had the Saucony long pants on, a long sleeve bottom layer and then my wind jacket. Knowing that I was going to be out a while and because it looked like rain was on the way (I did get a few sprinkles), I decided to layer up a bit. Thank goodness for zipper vents. Good design feature, Running Room. Well done, you.


Tomorrow is back to school for my little guy and as it happens I ran past Captain Michael VandenBos Public School on my run today. VandenBos was a Snowbird pilot who grew up not far from where I live. At 1:20 tomorrow afternoon, the Snowbirds air demonstration team is scheduled to do a fly by over the school in honour of their fallen colleague. I could imagine the sound of the jets in my head today as I ran past...and I thought of the picture I have of myself as a little guy in the cockpit of the CT-114 Tutor jet in a static display at the 1974 Calgary Stampede. That gave me a bit of a bounce in my step.

This was a pretty fast run today. My 10 km interval was 1:07:43 and that's another PR for that route...not that I was trying for that especially...I only looked at my watch for the recovery walks around 24 and 48 minutes.  The next 2 km were not exactly easy, but they were certainly manageable. Just under 3 weeks to race day. Ooh, I'm gettin' excited.

More later, but for now I gotta run

No comments:

Post a Comment