Saturday, August 21, 2010

Measure twice, run once

So it turns out I won't be joining the ranks of official course measuring teams anytime soon. After what felt like a pretty fast 5 km run last night, I noticed something peculiar in the stats....my shortest runs had the slowest pace despite my feeling I'd been moving more quickly than on the long runs.

At first I thought perhaps a greater proportion of the short runs were used warming up and that I had been picking up the pace part way through the longer runs, but then I thought I'd double check the measurement on my 5 km run. Turns out my 5 km run is actually 5.59 km long. Sound familiar? I've been in that territory before...like when my 6 km run turned out to be 6.96 km long. I was suddenly faced with a definitional dilemma: Was I really a "doofus of distances" who couldn't estimate the lengths of my runs accurately or I had intentially engaged in a subtle mind game with myself, pushing my pace to distances that were longer than I thought they were? I think it was a bit of both.

So, back to the drawing...uh...er...measuring board. I've adjusted the stats on the right to reflect the true distance and the true pace...the good news in all of this is my pace is closer to what I thought it was and the times are still progressively dropping. I need a pace of 6:23/km sustained over the full half-marathon distance to break 2 hours 15 minutes...

Hmmm....maybe I need to check the settings on the bathroom scale now too?

More later...gotta run.

No comments:

Post a Comment