Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I know you're out there...so send me your song suggestions already!

I'm beginning to hear through my grapevine that people are indeed reading twentyonepointone! If half as many people are reading as have made a donation to Magic Castle are reading, then I'm well on my way in terms of building a readership.  Thanks for taking the time to peruse my blog posts...and for your support and generosity towards Magic Castle.

I sure am glad to know you're out there, but I admit I've been trying to come up with a way to involve you more actively in this whole blogging and running adventure. I won't go so far as to suggest you lace up the old runners and have a go at the half marathon (except maybe for you Todd... I know you're thinking about it). But, it occurs to me that it might be fun to have you send me one or two song suggestions that I can add to the iPod that accompanies me on my runs. A quick glance to the right side border of the blog page will show you what kind of tunes I've been listening to on my runs, so you might take your cue from that list, but don't let that constrain you...I listen to all kinds of music (as the old joke goes, "Country and Western" -- hee hee).  I'm looking for songs that are melodic, songs that have a cool rhythym or a strong beat, songs that convey a message, songs that lift your spirits when you're down, songs that get your feet moving or that somehow connect to the theme of running.

So dig into your forgotten cassette tapes, vinyl record collections and CDs (but, please, no Freddie Fender 8-track tapes!) and send me your picks by clicking on the Comment link below this post.  It'll be cool listening to your tunes...almost like having you right there along with me as I near race day. (Only 33 more sleeps until race day!)

It's getting late...and I'm back to work this week. Gotta run.

2 comments:

  1. I've gotten a couple of cool suggestions as follows:
    -Hard Road, Sam Roberts (from Leigh)
    -Beautiful Day, U2 (from Praveen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian, In my limited running/working out experience I find that any tune longer than 7 minutes that keeps a reasonably steady beat works best. Like "La Villa Strangiato", "Hemisperes", and "Marathon" from Rush or maybe one of the long drawn out songs from Genesis like "Domino", "Dodo", and "Behind the Lines" (although it is a little shorter). If you can edit out the jungle noise at the beginning, another really good one is "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome" from Frankie goes to Hollywood. Crank it up, phase out and coast on autopilot.

    ReplyDelete