Monday, August 30, 2010

Lucky number 15 and the Yogi Maharishi Poser

So, I said to myself, "Self," I said, "what's a good thing to do after playing a round of golf on a sunny Sunday afternoon with your brother-in-law." "Why, run 15 km at sunset, that's what!"

Yep, yesterday was my big push to 15km. I based it on the combination of the 10km running route and a correctly modified 6km route (cut short to make 15 total). The 10km route went along just fine (with the possible exception of the scenario I relate below)...and only a little slower than PB time at 1:13:06 for the 10km split. Kilometre 11 was fine too, and then it hit me...I've got my sunglasses now perched on my head, it's dark outside, I'm wearing enough reflective gear to be seen a mile away, my legs are getting a little heavy and I've got 4 more km to run. 15 km is a pretty serious distance. Admittedly, it's not like like the 30km+ that my friends Sean and Praveen are running as they prepare for their full marathons...but it has been nearly a year since I have been in this distance territory and I was psyching myself up to get there in reasonable time.  Chalk up another run without hitting the wall.

All in all, it was a good run, though there were a few folks who don't seem to get the idea of sharing the sidewalk and that really bugs me. I'm not gonna dart off the edge of the sidewalk onto uneven grass or gravel and risk twisting my ankle or jamming my knee just to accommodate, in the one case, the obese woman with the beautiful textiles on who thinks it's her right as a taxpayer to hog the middle of the sidewalk.  Imagine, it would have been some collision if at the last second she hadn't correctly interpretted that I wasn't going to leave the pavement and moved over a smidge to make room for me...Never mind the Richard Simmons look I've been sporting...I would have been the Yogi Maharishi Poser suddenly sprinting away from an angry mob of handsome middle class Whitby-ites of Indian descent sporting their beloved's sari! (Come to think of it, there was someone at last year's race just at the turn off Lakeshore onto Bay that very nearly got trampled as she stepped off the curb into my path...so I've decided to take this all as part of the training.)

15 was an important number yesterday for another reason...we passed the $1500 mark in donations to Magic Castle! I'm truly touched by your generosity.  And, I want to thank everyone for their words of encouragement -- your words (and your song choices!) are adding to my already abundant spirit for this run.

More later, but for now I gotta run.

No comments:

Post a Comment